Tales Of Asia

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Observations on life - A world record attempt......


As you may have realised by my earlier posts, I like to observe human behaviour. Some of the behaviour that I observe is admirable whilst at the other end of the scale, some of the behaviour on observe is downright disgusting. This post is about some behaviour in the less admirable category.

For anybody who has spent any period of time here in Hong Kong, they will remember that good food at a reasonably cheap price is a priority amongst most Hong Kong people. There are a multitude of restaurants throughout the many cities and towns of Hong Kong and the majority of people eat out each day because it is cheaper to eat out than to cook at home. The food is fresh, the portions are generous, and the taste is fantastic.

During the daytime I can find myself outside visiting clients were doing various errands. I like to have a healthy lunch which often includes some barbecue pork or some steamed chicken together with a rice noodle soup. One of the places a lot of frequent here in Hong Kong is called "Can+Teen". There is a number of Can+Teen's around the central business district of Hong Kong and they are part of a larger company.

As I have been to this particular restaurant chain a number of times over the past two years, I have noticed the same people also frequenting the establishment to partake of their nice lunches before heading back to their offices often in the building above the restaurant.

Of these people, two in particular have taken my interest in recent months. A man and a woman.
The man looks like typical mainland Chinese person. Dark hair, reasonably thin, around 175 cm, approximately 55 years old, and often wearing what I term as typically mainland Chinese attire, that being a shirt or a sweater, a black leather jacket during the cold weather, grey trousers and black shoes.

The woman however does not dress as a typical mainland Chinese person. She has short-term hair red in colour, is dumpy and fat, wears spectacles, is around 150 cm tall, and likes to wear the latest in young woman's fashions. The problem with this is though that this woman is probably around 50 plus years old. This lady likes to wear short miniskirts with black stockings when the weather is cold, all leopardskin jackets and coats, funky accessories, and in my quiet humble opinion looks totally ridiculous. Notwithstanding my opinion however, she can dress however she wishes.

Although the lady wears a wedding ring, I don't think this man is her husband. I think the man is her boyfriend. They tend to meet at lunchtime and go and sit at an out of the way table, hidden from outside view of passers-by. On several occasions, they have sat near me and, without being focused on them, I have come to observe some of their behaviour in passing.

I think the gentleman is quite happy to be with the lady and just spend time with her. He sits there and talks, never eating any lunch or having a drink. He is just there to spend time with the woman.

The woman however always likes to eat. She often waits for the man to come and then tells him what she wants and he goes and purchases her lunch for her and brings it back to the table. Now, I have this secret belief that the woman is going for a world record attempt in the Guinness book of records. I think this woman is practising for the world record attempt at how much food a person can stuff in their mouth while still talking, but without spraying any of the foodstuff all over the front of her partner as she continues her never-ending dialogue.

On the odd occasion that she has looked in my general direction and I have seen her molars thrashing up and down as she eats and chatters away talking at the same time, it has nearly been enough for me to want to go and throw myself out the nearest window and in front of the nearest moving vehicle. It is absolutely disgusting. Still, it's her right to do whatever she wants whether I like it or not. The man doesn't seem to pay any attention to it, either he is used to it or love blinds him from saying anything about it.

Hong Kong, a great place to live, the great place to observe human behaviour, and a great place where world records can be challenged even during lunchtime.

Until next time, don't forget to wipe.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home