Tales Of Asia

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Tales of Asia - Part 1 - Posted December 05

Hello everyone,

Thanks to your e-mails. Apologies for this "global" message but my email system has been down until now and I have not had the chance to write most of you a personal reply.

Also, if anyone receives this email but doesn’t want to be kept informed etc, please just let me know and I'll delete you from the circulation list.

Just to give you an update, here's the latest.

We went to Singapore on Saturday night, stayed there Sunday and Monday and then flew on to Hong Kong on Monday night. It was great to stopover in Singapore and it was good to do a bit of sightseeing and shopping. The weather was quite humid and warm, quite different to Hong Kong which is cooler and heading into winter.

My daughter Alana really enjoyed the Christmas lights at Orchard Road and the local cuisine. Alana and I have been doing some sightseeing and shopping here in Hong Kong for the past few days. Hong Kong is an interesting place, heaps of people, heaps busier than Melbourne, and always has a hustle and bustle. It has an underground subway system and it is quick to get around.

We have been in the thick of things during the past few days as well with the WTO conference being held just down the road in Wan Chai. We have had farmers demonstrating in the streets and other similar protests that will later get aggressive outside the conference facility and occasionally locally. Naturally, we'll stay away from that area.

We are staying at the Regal Hotel in Causeway Bay. Very nice. Alana is on the 28th floor, I am on the 17th floor. Great views of Victoria Harbour.

Next month I will be moving to more permanent accommodation in an apartment on the Kowloon side of the harbour. Still only 2 stations from Central (the central business district) and a trip on the subway under the harbour, so I hope the tunnel doesn't leak……

My daughter Alana is planning to come back to Australia at the end of next week if I can arrange her ticket as he grandfather is quite ill, so I will miss her when she goes.

One of my favourite bands, Dream Theater will be playing in Hong Kong next month so I plan to go and see them.

Next week I have organised a trip to Shenzen and Guangzhou so I am looking forward to that. This weekend I plan to go to some small villages of Stanley and Aberdeen on the other side of Hong Kong to do more sightseeing.

Cheers

Alan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home